‘Popcorn Lung’ Victim Wins $7 Million Judgment, Next Up ‘Sno-Cap Bladder’


I don’t mean to poke fun at the guy’s obviously very real condition. But the idea that something as innocuous as real fake popcorn butter/dressing/topping can prove deadly just by inhaling it is what I find both absurd and terrifying, which is pretty much my experience of life in general:

A U.S. federal court jury on Wednesday awarded a Colorado man $7.2 million in damages for developing a chronic condition known as popcorn lung from a chemical used in flavoring microwave popcorn.

Jurors agreed with the claims by Wayne Watson, 59, that the popcorn manufacturer and the supermarket chain that sold it were negligent by failing to warn on labels that the butter flavoring, diacetyl, was dangerous.

The condition is a form of obstructive lung disease that makes it difficult for air to flow out of the lungs and is irreversible, according to WebMd.

Watson, of suburban Denver, was the first consumer of microwave popcorn diagnosed with the disease, bronchiolitis obliterans, his attorney Kenneth McClain said.

Watson was diagnosed in 2007 at Denver’s National Jewish Health, a respiratory health center, after years of inhaling the smell of artificial butter on the popcorn he said he ate daily.

The verdict was the latest in a line of cases in the past 15 years, starting with workers in popcorn plants where diacetyl was an ingredient, that has linked the chemical to health problems.

Good gravy—assuming any gravy can be good. My guess is that you should never eat the same thing two days in a row. There’s arsenic in rice, for goodness’ sake. Hormones in meat and milk. Next they’ll be telling me that my chocolate-covered spider monkeys cause liver damage.

Why do we even get out of bed—assuming, of course, that you’re not like that lazybones Proust and do.

One thought on “‘Popcorn Lung’ Victim Wins $7 Million Judgment, Next Up ‘Sno-Cap Bladder’

  1. Arsenic in rice. This is why there’s no population problem on the oriental side of the planet.


Comments are closed.